Tuesday, September 21, 2010

On The Way To WEG

Hi,
My name is Rebecca Smith. I live in Hamilton, Ohio.  I'm 16 years old, a junior in high school and home schooled. I'm an HB pony clubber and my home club is Miami Valley in the Midsouth Region.  My partner for the WEG Quadrille Team is Marley Bounty (aka Declan) he is an 8 year old Bay Irish Sport Horse. Declan and I have been working together for 3 years.

First off, I want to thank those who have sponsored our team on our way to the World Equestrian Games.  They include James Cox Saddlery, Dr. Patricia Dussair, Dr. Kirk Brown, Danny & Margie Crank, Old Stone Riding Center, Marie Arnold, Steve and Joette Crank, Courtney E. Combs, Beth & John Grote, Carlie Smith, Larry & Faye Hamblin, Trica & Jason Steele, Bob Sirk & The City of Hamilton.

I want to offer a special thanks to Caroline Bergsma for practicing the Pas De Deux, the Quadrille and the Drill team with me so that I am well prepared for when the team meets for practices.  Also, thanks to Walnut Creek Stables for providing a state of the art facility for me to board and practice for the event.

The packing list is a full page long.  Just imagine having to pack for myself for 10 days as well as for my horse including his tack, horse blankets, grain/supplements, buckets, shavings, tack cleaning equipment, tack room set up equipment, wheel barrows, brooms, picks, shovels, boots, saddle pads, leg wraps, bathing supplies, clippers, grooming tools, hay (6/7 bales).  Wow, that's the beginnning of a long list! lol

We will arrive at the Blue Grass Christian Camp in Lexington on Friday Sept. 24th.  By early morning on Saturday we will be begin to practice as a team. For the four days prior to our demonstration at the Horse Park, our coaches Betsy Labelle and Connie Wyatt will lead us in at least 2 riding practices a day. Between practices we'll need to make sure our horses are well groomed, cared for and continue to practice on our own, walking patterns and working on the rides so that they will be perfect! 

In preparation we have been having phone conferences for the past 6 weeks to organize, talk through the patterns, discuss attire, music and specifics for just being in the park.  Erin Woodall and Marian Wahlgren, from the Pony Club office, have been great supporters!  They have kept us informed of what to expect at the horse park, taken care of getting our immunization paper work to the proper authorities, set up our housing and stabling, and helped us keep track of the financing for our trip. A great big thanks to them!

With less than a week before practices I must wash saddle pads and polo wraps, clean tack and continue to practice.  So, on that note....until next time...Have a nice ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment